Oblivion: XBox360 vs PC

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jericho
x2

Oblivion: XBox360 vs PC

Post by Jericho » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 11:19

The Oblivion site has just released some new screenshots.

Erm, the XBox 360 version is looking a little chunky compare to the PC version. (And the PC version minimum specs are looking pretty high). So much for the amazing XBox360. (See my thread reviewing the first batch of 360 games and how average/bad they are).

360 screens:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_x ... ens_01.htm
PC screens:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_pc_screens_01.htm
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 12:06

There's been hints that it'll use online activation too, which personally I find stupid for a single player game. Of course, they're just hints and for all I know they're using a Cap'n Crunch Decoder Ring for CP :D

The min specs are pretty darn high, too. I can play X³ but I doubt I'm gonna be able to play Oblivion. Perhaps that's their angle? Those that can't afford to upgrade their PC significantly are being "encouraged" to get a 360?
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

biGGGs
x3

Post by biGGGs » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 12:29

where are the latest spec requirements? I can't seem to find them.

I recently upgraded my gfx card specifically so I could play this game, that was based on the last specs they gave, and I took some leeway into account. You can see that one below, that plays X3 pretty well.

I'm not upgrading again for a while, if Bethesda won't make this easier for me they won't get my money.
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
Athlon XP 2400+
1GB DDR PC2700
Radeon AGP X700 Pro 256MB

LeeE
x3

Post by LeeE » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 12:33

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_faq.htm

a few ones down in there...

Luckily i seem to be alright, and i'm not too bothered about dropping the quality down to get it running better either :)
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 14:24

"i'm not too bothered about dropping the quality down"

I am.

I'd rather spend money I don't have then play it on less then full speed. Seriously. Those demos just looked too beutiful.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

biGGGs
x3

Post by biGGGs » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 15:37

Yeah, it hasn't changed too much, should still run on mine, just can't max everything out.

I never can anyway on any decent games, when I got HL2 I had to play that on minimum, I don't think it'll affect my enjoyment of the game. I'm not getting it for the graphics, I can still enjoy Morrowind, and those graphics are practically ancient.
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
Athlon XP 2400+
1GB DDR PC2700
Radeon AGP X700 Pro 256MB

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 16:47

Yeah, but I'm really shallow :D

For me it's all about the graphics :D

(just kidding, I love Elite, Defender and Thrust)

grays
x3tc

Post by grays » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 19:46

Having never played any of the Morrowind series I take it they are rather good?

Is it worth getting Elder Scrolls III as a taster before Oblivion?

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 04:24

I liked the trees... Plus I got to see why this forum is considered so highly...

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 08:56

Lol, long time no see SW. Yes, those Elder Scrolls forums are only just above the Counterstrike ones aren't they.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 14:02

Jericho wrote:Lol, long time no see SW. Yes, those Elder Scrolls forums are only just above the Counterstrike ones aren't they.
Hence my limiting myself to a select few threads in Community Discussion, and The ESCS forum (less "dregs of internet society", although you still get stupid questions like "how do I mod???!11").
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 01:17

I wouldn't say above... maybe on par...

Although its a real wheeze making fun of them...

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 01:47

grays wrote:Having never played any of the Morrowind series I take it they are rather good?

Is it worth getting Elder Scrolls III as a taster before Oblivion?
- Oh yes, most definitely - it is a masterpiece, a classic and a one-off - it's intriguing and engrossing - it's a credit to all who worked on it - a crowning achievement in my opinion - well done Bethesda!

- there, I can't say fairer than that, can I? :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

grays
x3tc

Post by grays » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 01:51

Its now on order :)

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 10:09

Make sure you download the official plugins from the Bethesda site. The "siege at firemoth/moonmoth/fortmoon/whatever" is a great little one.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 10:21

Here is one guy waiting for Oblivion more than the rest of us!

Take-Two's Paul Eibler named worst CEO of 2005
MarketWatch editor Herb Greenberg pins blame for poor earnings, lambastes executive's managerial style.
Take-Two Interactive's rough year got a little rougher this week, when esteemed financial-news Web site MarketWatch.com singled it out for a rather dubious achievement. In a strongly worded column, editor Herb Greenberg named the publisher's top executive, Paul Eibler, as "Worst CEO of the Year."

"[Eibeler] has done such a poor job getting his arms around the company that Take-Two has missed its own earnings guidance for multiple quarters," said Greenberg. "So far this year it has sliced earnings guidance by more than 60 percent to a range of 53 cents to 56 cents a share." Predictably, Greenberg cited the "Hot Coffee" scandal that got Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas pulled from store shelves for several months and "setbacks on the rollouts of newer games"--presumably the delay of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion until 2006.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 11:58

GTA, one of the most succesfull franchises of all time, and he is labelled the worst CEO of the year. Those guys should take a look at the way things are run here at IBM, they would get the shock of their lives.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 12:21

The criteria by which larger company bosses are judged "successful" bears little or no relationship to the way they are perceived as running the company by those who are working there. At that level it is all about whether you meet your financial forecasts and growth targets, and it doesn't matter a jot how you go about doing it. You can make all the stupid, short-sighted decisions you like about operational activities as long as you meet those targets, and often overshooting them by too much is considered as bad as not reaching them. You can also have a successful product and be deemed a failure if that product doesn't meet the targets you set.

City analysts are interested only in company growth and stability of share earnings, and more and more companies are run in such a way that the priorities are to keep the city analysts happy (and thereby the shareholders) regardless of whether this means pawning the company's future to meet this quarter's targets, and regardless of whether it makes any sense whatsoever to staff or customers.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 13:02

The Hi-Def video trailer for the game is quite impressive, but as I'm already slipping into the "mid-range" group for graphics capability, I'm expecting some glitches at first..

..oh well, perseverance pays, etc, etc... :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 13:36

The question is: Why would anyone get it on the XBOX 360 when it won't have user made mods?

Considering that, quite frankly, the game will suck without mods.

Return to “Off Topic English”