X4 Visual Appearance vs X3?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 10. Sep 17, 13:54

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Skeeter wrote:Have to admit that is a lazy design of a ship, the little flat one that was in x4 presentation.
Bernd mentions at 15:15 that design has a link to "physics and steering". Some of the XR fighters had articulated engines and it looks like X4 continues that with with the Nova gaining rotating side engines to improve roll speeds. To me that sound more like focusing more on function than aesthetics, rather than being lazy.
I know what you mean but still its basically a flat rectangle with a bump for a cockpit with some pretty textures. They could have done a lot more to the model. I used to make 3d space ships and well let's just say I'd be embarrassed showing that off. What they could have done is break the surface up a bit with raised and lower panes, make maybe some extended front to then attach the cockpit, or just bulk the mid section a tad just to get away from it looking like a flat rectangle basically.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 10. Sep 17, 14:08

Lc4Hunter wrote:If ES will release some modding tools or if people will create some modding tools i could imagine that you will be able to fly such a little thing.
The model is finished and completely textured, just the cockpit needs some more love :wink:
At 15:57, check out the bottom-left part of the cockpit...I just noticed there's a ship that looks a bit like a Starfury! No idea if it will have 4 engines for use as a base for your model or not though.
Skeeter wrote: I know what you mean but still its basically a flat rectangle with a bump for a cockpit with some pretty textures. They could have done a lot more to the model. I used to make 3d space ships and well let's just say I'd be embarrassed showing that off. What they could have done is break the surface up a bit with raised and lower panes, make maybe some extended front to then attach the cockpit, or just bulk the mid section a tad just to get away from it looking like a flat rectangle basically.
Thanks for the extra design feedback, which is always useful to Egosoft.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 10. Sep 17, 14:40

Least the other ships looked a lot better. But I agree with a lot of others that said that small ship is a bit weak in design is all. I just chimed my opinion on it. Hopeful it will change to something better before release.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations”